6 Most Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
6 Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
- Wet Floors – Wet floors are by far the most common cause of slip and fall accidents. Remember, businesses are required to clean up or mark any slip hazards with a wet floor sign.
- Uneven Floors – Uneven and wet floors combine for over half the slip and fall accidents in the U.S. Uneven sidewalks, warped boards, or short steps are generally the culprits of slip and fall injuries. Any trip hazard on the ground must be marked or repaired by the property owner.
- Weather Accommodations – There is a saying in Texas: “if you don’t like the weather, just wait a minute.” When weather happens, it creates a dangerous slip or trip hazard, and businesses are still required to make sure they maintain safe walking surfaces. Some use temporary rugs that are inadequate or placed incorrectly, resulting in the rug curling up or getting pushed up. Businesses know that customers are usually looking ahead, including at displays or other customers, and not at the floor, which is expected to be safe. Any rug must be adequate in weight and properly placed to avoid creating a tripping hazard from curling or pushing up.
- Stray Cords or Wires – Stray cords or wires that lay across walkways are serious trip hazards. Businesses must make sure their walkways are free of trip hazards or any necessary cords are covered with electrical cord floor covers.
- Poor Lighting – It is the responsibility of every business to ensure their property is well-lit. Bad lighting makes any property, especially ones with stairs, extremely dangerous. OSHA requires every business to be well-lit during their hours of operation.
- Poor Floor Design – It is the responsibility of every business to ensure their property is safe for their employees and customers. Non-porous, slick floors can make any spilled liquid feel like walking on ice.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Frisco, TX
If you were injured due to a business owner’s negligence while shopping or working, you might have the right to receive compensation for your injuries. The law offices of Reynolds & Reynolds in Frisco, TX have been fighting for slip and fall victims for decades. You should not have to suffer because of someone else’s negligence. Find us on social media to learn more about our services, or contact us at our Frisco personal injury law office today for your free consultation. There will be no attorneys’ fees unless we obtain financial compensation for you.